[sinod] Five visions

Luc Saffre luc at saffre-rumma.net
Tue Mar 15 01:15:47 UTC 2022

Dear sinoditalgutiim,

I wrote down five visions. Thanks for reading them and for your prayer.
Let me know if you have something to say.

Luc

    Imagine humanity as an apple tree

Imagine humanity as an apple tree, every human a cell and God as the
gardener. An apple tree cannot imagine the gardener. A cell cannot
imagine the apple tree. “Ouch” says the tree in spring when the gardener
cuts a water sprout. And all the cells that die because they happened to
sit in this water sprout shout “We are innocent! Injustice!” But that’s
life. A cell in an apple tree doesn’t know anything about trees and
gardeners. It just does her job, it works to rule
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work-to-rule>. Religious humans are like
cells that can listen to what the gardener says.

    Imagine Putin and me in sauna

Imagine Vladimir Putin and me sitting together in sauna.

Me: Vladimir, what are you trying to say to the world? Genocide in
Ukraine and pan-slavism are just excuses. You have something more
important to say.

Vladimir: You won’t understand me.

Me: Try to explain anyway. It seems important.

Vladimir: Where to start? Look at your liberal capitalistic system. It
causes much harm to the poor and to our common home the Earth.

Me: Hey, that sounds like Laudato Si and Fratelli Tutti!

Vladimir: Yes. We cannot let money rule the world. That’s not what God
wants. He wants us, the humans, to rule the world. Liberal capitalism is
just an excuse to /not/ rule . It’s better that one human rules the
world than no human at all. I am a human.

Me: And you are better than any other human?

Vladimir: Of course I am not. But I am the one elected by the Russian
people. I try to do my best because I feel responsible. The NATO allies
are threatening us, so I need to say “stop”. That’s my job.

Me: But can’t you say “stop” without killing innocent people?

Vladimir: Hey! I tried! But you didn’t listen! I am more sorry for the
war than you. Ukraine is our brother. But I had no choice. Remember the
water sprouts of the apple tree.

(to be continued)

    Imagine that Google becomes a foundation

Imagine a successful private corporation with limited liability, for
example Google, whose shareholders decide by their free will that they
have harvested enough revenue from the money they invested. They would
say “Now is the moment to thank God and give the fruit of our work to
the poor, so that we will have treasure in heaven”. Legally spoken the
company would turn into a foundation. The shareholders would formulate
the constitution of the foundation and decide a date when all shares
will loose their monetary value. (Inspired by Matthew 19:21 and the
biblical jubilee <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(biblical)>)

    Imagine the Church as a compass and the State as a captain

The compass knows where the north pole is. It does not know about
cliffs. It has no power over the ship. The captain knows about cliffs
and knows the destination of the freight. Sometimes the straight route
is suboptimal or simply impossible. The Church with power in the visible
world would be like a compass that directly controls the steering wheel.
A captain refusing to look at the compass would be a blind man trying to
lead a blind man (Luke 6:39
<https://www.bibleserver.com/ESV/Luke6%3A39>). An unreliable compass is
worse than a weak motor.

    Imagine a new democracy

Imagine that you can sign in at the parliament’s website, select one of
your friends as getting your voice, and hit submit. You are asked to
vote for one of your friends whom you consider trustworthy. The vote of
your friend will then count twice (their voice plus your voice). Every
citizen is a candidate, electoral campaigns have become useless. You can
change your vote at any time. When you have a certain number of voices,
you are asked whether you agree to take a seat in the parliament. If you
do not want to take a seat, you simply vote for some other citizen. The
same system could work for any size of communities, not only for nations.